Bombers make statement (and other scrimmage thoughts)...
By Robert Przybylo
Well, I saw nine different teams in the last two nights, and one team left an indelible impression on the Boneman. I know it’s only a scrimmage but give me the first seat on the Midwest City bandwagon.
I likey a lot what the Bombers did to Norman North at Mustang on Thursday. Scrimmages are always tough because you don’t know what the teams’ main goals are besides getting out of there healthy. The Timberwolves had their moments and only played Tyler Tettleton sparingly, but the Bombers were swarming to the ball.
There was no answer for MWC’s Timothy Flanders. He finds the smallest crease, and whoop, he’s gone. He did it twice to one of the best defenses in 6A.
Both Flanders and Beau Blankenship said the scrimmage felt different from the other ones. They admitted there was some real intensity, some real hitting go on. And both kept things in perspective. Actually, that’s almost all MWC coach Steve Huff was trying to instill into his players afterward.
For the record, it was MWC 14, NN 0. The teams played two 12-minute quarters.
Other thoughts from Thursday: McGuinness looked like, well, McGuinness. I was impressed with how QB Ryan Randolph was able to elude Lawton Eisenhower defenders almost all night long. He didn’t look gimpy at all on his left ankle.
The Irish will look even better when RB Alex Valle comes back. I don’t know if that will be enough against Guthrie, but they will be full strength.
Gabe Ikard recovered a fumble for a touchdown. But I had to give him grief because he was run down by a lineman but used a stiff arm. I kid because I love. Gabe, please don’t step on me.
If Flanders was the star of the night, Lawton MacArthur’s Javon Harris wasn’t too far behind. He was the highlight for the Highlanders. Two touchdowns, one a sweet screen pass that he took 70 + yards.
In the opener, Mustang overpowered Altus. The Broncos have a couple of backs to be on the lookout for. Hunter Smith and Ben Green both provide something for defenses to ponder.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 35743Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 30080Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 9255Tornado levels homes in trailer park
- 7252Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 6705OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 3930Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 3921OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 3685College football: Coaches, athletes weigh in on NCAA's suspended recruiting proposals
- 3424Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 3280Brittney Griner: Kim Mulkey said keep quiet on sexuality
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients