Tuttle at Newcastle -- Newcastle offense vs. Tuttle defense
By Jason Kersey
Today’s post on the District 3A-1 clash between Tuttle and Newcastle will be the opposite of yesterday’s. I will look at the match-ups within the match-up of Newcastle’s offense vs. Tuttle’s defense.
Newcastle’s rushing offense vs. Tuttle’s run defense
Newcastle’s offensive strength is in its running game, and running back Riley Gibson has been outstanding this year. He has rushed for 790 yards and 12 touchdowns on the season, averaging over five yards per carry.
Tuttle’s run defense is tough. It gives up just over 87 yards per game on the ground, and is anchored by preseason All-State linebacker Reno Marical, a senior who has 60 tackles so far this year. Senior Nathan Harp has 52 stops for the season.
Although Gibson has had a great year so far, he is the only running threat Newcastle has shown so far this year. Newcastle’s next highest rusher after Gibson is quarterback Adam Iago, who has 46 yards on 33 carries.
Newcastle’s passing offense vs. Tuttle’s pass defense
Iago has completed over 50 percent of his passes this year and has 627 yards. Not bad for a team that is run-first.
Tuttle gives up an average of just over 61 yards per game through the air. Bryce Ebert has four interceptions on the year.
Iago has thrown four touchdowns this year, but has also thrown five interceptions. But Tuttle’s numbers in interceptions and sacks don’t just jump off the page either. I don’t think this match-up will be much of a factor in this game.
To see all of my blog posts this week about the Newcastle-Tuttle game, click here.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 15916Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 15914Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale - performance episode
- 11583Police shoot, kill man holding child hostage in Midwest City
- 11309'Firehouse' in Oklahoma City's Deep Deuce is set to become new home
- 10923Norman man threatens Oklahoma Gov. Fallin's 'child' and local sheriff in emails
- 10033OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 7498Dillon Overton rips former Sooners coach Sunny Golloway on Twitter
- 6996Was Special Treatment Given in Oklahoma Vice Mayor DUI Traffic Stop?
- 6944Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
- 6781Brad Lund granted two-year lease to Taft Stadium for soccer team
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients