Tuttle at Newcastle -- past players reflect on rivalry
By Jason Kersey
I talked with great players from both Newcastle and Tuttle’s past to ask them the same question I asked the current players earlier this week — what does this rivalry mean to them?
Jason White, Tuttle class of 1999
“Growing up, even throughout Little League, it was a huge rivalry. Those are the guys you always wanted to beat. You learned the rivalry in Little League by watching the guys in high school play.
“The towns are so close together that you see them all the time.
“It’s a lot like, on a different scale, OU-Texas. Both Tuttle and Newcastle are really good teams, so there’s a lot at stake. There’s also the bragging rights factor; if you lose to Newcastle, you have to listen to it for a whole year before you get a chance to redeem yourself.
“There’s a lot on the line, especially this year. It’s more magnified because of the position both teams are in.”
Trey Sharp, Tuttle class of 1997
“The schools are 12 miles apart. I can remember them coming over on a Friday at lunch talking trash.
“Of all the games, that was probably the greatest game. For a little 3A school, it was packed with 10 deep on the fence.
“It’s a great rivalry. There’s a lot of bad blood, but at the same time a lot of respect.
“Anytime you can play a rivalry that’s that close, even though it’s high school, the schools get excited, the students get excited. And it always carries over into other sports.”
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 12316OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 7699Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 6657Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 6438Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 5739Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 4894Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 4675Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 4026Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 3825As Boy Scouts' vote on gay members nears, faith groups weigh in
- 3740OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients