Eating crow and other first round thoughts
By Robert Przybylo
I’m an idiot who picked Purcell over Tuttle, but I’m the genius that picked Illinois over Ohio State. The Illini are “my boys.” That 2005 basketball team led by Deron Williams, Dee Brown and Luther Head is my favorite college team (of any sport) ever. Growing up in Chicago for 11 years will do it to you.
Now back to the topic at hand, district 3A-1 showed it was head of the class Friday. Its powers, Clinton and Kingfisher, both played like it. They were dominant. No hope for either Marlow or Sulphur to sneak up on ‘em.
Then of course, my lock was Purcell over Tuttle. Sterling Koons made sure I was eating crow over that one. After hearing the halftime score, I was proud to see the Dragons not fold. They made it close and showed a fighting heart.
In its two losses, Tuttle committed a lot of turnovers. On Friday, the shoe was on the other foot as it was Purcell who was turnover-happy.
And the biggest thing was probably Newcastle almost making it a clean sweep over 3A-2 with its near upset of Plainview.
While Newcastle gave the blemish, some districts did pull off the 4-0 slate.
The most notable would be 2A-5. Henryetta had its way with Spiro, 45-7. Morris struggled but got the job done against Stigler, 25-20. Then the surprises on the road as both Chandler and Prague went to Vian and Eufaula, respectively, give it district supremacy.
Also pulling off the four-some was B-1. Most everyone thought Pond Creek-Hunter and Laverne would win but big road wins by Garber (at Mt View-Gotebo) and Timberlake (at undefeated Fox).
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 39385Dillon Overton rips former Sooners coach Sunny Golloway on Twitter
- 13186Oklahoma football: New assistant Bill Bedenbaugh discusses state of OU's offensive line
- 12510New OSU CB Tyler Patmon, ex-OU QB Drew Allen among those to benefit from transfer rule
- 11930Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale - performance episode
- 10305UPDATE: Woman's body found in northwest Oklahoma City, her son arrested
- 7560Oklahoma City Thunder: Hard to tell if Shabazz Muhammad is on OKC's radar
- 7262Oklahoma baseball: Sunny Golloway wasn't Sooners' most beloved coach, but he got results
- 7231Oklahoma State football: Quarterback Wes Lunt transferring to Illinois
- 6637Top 5 regrets of the dying
- 5911Russell Westbrook is off crutches and says he's back
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients