The Northwestern connection
By Justin Harper, Staff Writer
As we head into the second week of the playoffs, the 1990 Northwestern Oklahoma State football team continues to impress.
I’ll explain. While the 1990 Rangers’ squad was pretty salty, several folks involved with that team are guiding high school teams to greater success.
Lance Manning, coach of Norman North, and Rafe Watkins, coach of Guthrie, were teammates on the ’90 NWOSU team. Manning was a defensive lineman, Watkins a linebacker. Norman North (9-2) is one of the top five teams in Class 6A, while Guthrie is unbeaten (11-0) and ranked No. 1 in 5A.
Meanwhile, in 2A, Alva (10-1) is a strong title contender thanks to quarterback Mitchell Gale, linebacker Tyson Gale and running back/DB Derek Lohmann. The head coach of the Goldbugs and father of Mitchell and Tyson is Steve Gale, who was the offensive line coach at NWOSU in 1990. What’s more, the defensive coordinator on that club, who worked closely with Manning and Watkins, was Steve Lohmann — father of Derek Lohmann. Steve is now Alva’s defensive coordinator.
That’s a lot of ties and connections and success to come out of one small-college team.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 21543Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10852Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8707Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8666Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8648Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7837Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7718Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 7246UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
- 6857Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 5852Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients