More on DC/CCS...
By Robert Przybylo
I don’t know why I got so emotionally invested in the game between Destiny Christian and Community Christian. But from the minute I heard about the way it ended Friday, I just felt like it deserved something. Something more than just your average writeup.
Maybe it was because I wrote the Brooks Mosier story a week before. Or maybe it was because I’ve been tracking Arthur Mahoney and his 4.2 speed for the last two years. Or maybe it was the see-it-to-believe-it way it ended. It was the perfect final. The only thing that would have been better was had it happened on a Thursday, so I could have been there.
CCS had all the motivation in the world and then some with Brooks Mosier, who is the toughest SOB I’ve ever been around (and I mean that in the most endearing and respectful way possible).
So Destiny Christian coach Rusty Stone tried to get his kids thinking along those same lines: “Who are you playing for?”
I talked to various members of the Destiny Christian team, and here’s what they had to say:
Ryan Hanson, senior quarterback: “I played for my grandpa, who died of lung cancer a year ago. I played for my mom and dad for inspiring me and for my aunt who never missed a game.”
Arthur Mahoney, senior running back: “That game was for my dad and the coaching staff. They’ve always supported me and have kept pushing me on.”
Gil Davila, senior wide receiver: “For the coaching staff that never let me quit even when I wanted to. And for my family — that was the first time they’ve been to one of my games. I’ll never forget it.”
Trey Ewing III, senior wide receiver: “My mom. I’ve been through a lot and put her through a lot, and she’s always stood by me, no matter what. It was real emotional and made you think why you are playing.”
Stone said he is going to try to send me the video of the hook-and-lateral that won the championship. He said him and the rest of the coaching staff wore out that video Friday night. They watched it until the battery ran out. That’s good stuff, men turning into boys, I tells ya.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 17441Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 13900OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 11725'Firehouse' in Oklahoma City's Deep Deuce is set to become new home
- 11253Norman man threatens Oklahoma Gov. Fallin's 'child' and local sheriff in emails
- 8882Was Special Treatment Given in Oklahoma Vice Mayor DUI Traffic Stop?
- 7879Police shoot, kill man holding child hostage in Midwest City
- 7323Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale
- 7059Brad Lund granted two-year lease to Taft Stadium for soccer team
- 7006Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
- 6837Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale - performance episode
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients