By Robert Przybylo
Bad and lame pun aside, I feel pretty good. With those state area picks, I’m the dork that likes to add little side comments about each game. With Heritage Hall and Henryetta, I said it would be the 2A game of the year.
After attending the game, I think I’m right although I admit to not being able to see Bethany-Alva from the week before.
I don’t know how our other “prep geniuses” work, but by the second quarter of any game I’m at, I start framing my story.
To put it mildly, my mind was working overtime in Henryetta on Saturday.
Early on, it appeared the Chargers could do no wrong. The offense wasn’t clicking by any means but the Heritage defense was controlling the game with a 10-0 advantage.
And then a fluke play happened. The Knights faced a 4th and 17 with 40 seconds to go in the first half. Bobby Bear, with no other choice, floats a ball to about the 10 yard line. Heritage’s Turner Petersen knocks the ball down but right into the hands of Henryetta’s Brett DeWitt for a 35-yard touchdown to cut the margin to 10-7 at half.
I’m starting to think how a fluke play turned the tide in the undefeated battle. The second half begins with the Knights just pounding it down Heritage’s throat. Nine straight runs brought Henryetta to the 1 yard line. Bear attempts a sneak, fumbles, and Heritage recovers.
Then the unthinkable happens. Charger QB Garrett Valdez, who came in with 26 TDs and 5 interceptions, throws pick No. 6 to Evan Crane. The senior did not have an interception the entire season.
Knight RB Colby Blondell carries Chargers on his back as he scores from 22 yards out to give Henryetta a 14-10 lead, making it only the second time HH trailed the entire season.
On Heritage’s next play, Valdez runs the option, picks up some yards, pitches it and it’s picked off by Rusty Gray.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 36901Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 36295Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 32626Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 8549Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5487OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 4132Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 4021Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 3510College football: Coaches, athletes weigh in on NCAA's suspended recruiting proposals
- 3369George Nigh has long been 'Four' Oklahoma
- 3261Brittney Griner: Kim Mulkey said keep quiet on sexuality
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients