Morrison 13, Okeene 9 - Class A final
By Robert Przybylo
Now that was a hard-hitting game. Because I can, I elect to give the game’s MVP to Okeene LB Matt Benham. Watching the game with Ryan Aber and Jason Kersey, we agreed Benham was absolutely dominating. The program lists him at 190, say wha? There is no way Benham is that small.
Anyway, Okeene had a 9-0 lead before Morrison fought back. And fought back is the right term. Down 3-0, Morrison had a first-and-goal at the 4, followed by third and fourth down at the 1. The Whippets were up to the challenge. I was joking with Jason “Okeene defended its goalline and then defended its title.”
A 48-yard punt return by Brock Wardlaw gave Okeene a 9-0 lead, and then Morrison came alive. Sophomore Latelle Graves had a day he will never forget. He scored on a 35-yard touchdown pass from Shawn Walls with less than two minutes left in the first half. If that wasn’t enough, it was Graves’ first TD reception of the season.
Morrison’s Cale James punched it in during the third, and then that would be it. With Okeene driving late to tie it up, it was Graves again coming alive. Graves deflected a fourth down attempt by the Whippets and guaranteed Morrison’s fourth straight state championship while denying Okeene its third in a row in the process.
I don’t know what to say about Morrison. I was among the doubters that it would have a reality check this season in Class A. But week in, week out, the Wildcats were up to the challenge. So then I became a believer, too.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 18478Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 8171OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 6350Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 6186Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 6108OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 4747Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 4683Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 3723Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 3514Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 3353As Boy Scouts' vote on gay members nears, faith groups weigh in
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients