Perry wrestling tournament: A night of orange and black
By Matt Patterson
PERRY –Oklahoma State coach John Smith made an appearance at the Perry tournament finals Saturday night and for good reason. At least six future Cowboys were on the mat.
One was Perry’s Ladd Rupp who easily won his 125 pound match by fall. And despite winning three state championships it was his first tournament win at his school’s signature event.
“I don’t know” Rupp said when asked how he could be so dominant without winning the Perry tournament. “I’ve run into some pretty tough competition here the last couple of years with Willie Gunter. I’m just glad I got it in my last year.”
Chris Perry dominant: In what could be a preview of this year’s Class 6A finals at 189 pounds, Stillwater’s Chris Perry beat Ponca City’s Blake Rosholt with a second period fall. Perry recently wrapped up another 1,000 yard season for Stillwater’s football team.
“I’m feeling pretty good right now,” he said. “If you’re not playing football and have all day to train, that’s an advantage but a lot of that stuff is mental.”
Perry and Rosholt will also both wrestle at Oklahoma State.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 21543Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10852Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8707Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8666Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8648Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7837Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7718Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 7246UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
- 6857Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 5852Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients