El Reno vs. Guthrie Capsule
El Reno (1-0) at Guthrie (0-1)
When: 7:30 p.m. Friday
Where: Jelsma Stadium, Guthrie
Why the Bluejays can win: No disrespect to McGuinness, but Guthrie made a ton of mistakes in their 12-7 opening loss to the Irish on the road. Kentrell Brothers dropped a sure touchdown pass and there were penalties and broken plays. Still, their defense played pretty good and they should be able to carry them to a win here. Freshman Bryan Dutton should also improve, though coach Rafe Watkins was quick to praise his poise in the opener.
Why the Indians can win: Jakeil Everheart is a “water bug” according to Watkins who can beat you with his legs. The Indians also have a capable running back in Cory Dauphin who is a also a state champion wrestler. His brother Cody anchors a good defensive line that could force Guthrie to throw more than they like.
Key matchup: Kentrell Brothers vs. El Reno’s defense. Brothers is a man among boys. If he can get in the open field he’ll be tough to stop. He was a step or two away from several more big plays against McGuinness and should be primed to make good on missed opportunities this time around.
The pick: Guthrie 24, El Reno 21
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 26979Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU
- 17115Classen School of Advanced Studies valedictorian disappears while hiking with family in Ecuador
- 9403UPDATE: I-40 reopened at Shields after fatal wreck
- 8599Oklahoma State football: A stunning success story at the box office
- 7948Oklahoma State football: Mike Gundy lifts Wes Lunt restrictions, but too late
- 7430OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 6562Get App-y: Google Glass to offer heads-up computing
- 6162Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale
- 6113Tom Ward out as SandRidge CEO
- 6077Prosecutors say stolen car was at heart of 2011 fatal shootings in Oklahoma City
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients