Softball: State recap...
By Robert Przybylo
Or as I like to call it “how bad did I do?”
I don’t remember all of my calls, but I know I missed a bunch. I’m hoping I got two of the state softball champions right. In my defense, there were a few real unexpected winners this year.
Very interesting that not one No. 1 team won the title. Says a lot about the depth in each class and maybe some about the pressure of being No. 1 the whole season.
Teams like Mustang (6A), Catoosa (4A), Purcell (3A), Washington (2A), Fletcher (A) and Moss (B) had the targets on their back nearly the whole way.
6A: I said Yukon and after Yukon lit up Broken Arrow the first time, felt very confident about that. That inspiration of playing for Dani Fox was too good of a story to not happen. But B.A. has been there so many times before and never looked rattled. I’m not sure if Mustang was rattled in the championship, but it looked like it. That wasn’t the team that was scoring at least 7 runs in every postseason game. And Megan Sullivan of Broken Arrow is the best player I didn’t get a chance to see until this weekend. Actual winner: Broken Arrow.
5A: Well, I got the final right. Then again, anyone who knows anything about this class could have gotten the final of McAlester and Lawton MacArthur. The Highlanders just looked so smooth at there, and you know I love those black jerseys. I don’t know if that’s the most McAlester star pitcher Taylor Dewbery has been hit, but it’s gotta be up there. Impressive performance by Lawton Mac in the finals. Word on the street is Lawton Mac stud Amanda McClelland might be heading to West Point. Actual winner: Lawton Mac.
4A: Was bankin’ on a Tuttle three-peat here, no doubt about it. Jerry Bates’ teams always find a way to win the nail-biters. But defense betrayed the Tigers and Blanchard took advantage. Big kudos to the Lions, who will have a bevy of returning starters. Said coach Brent Mitchell: “We plan on being in this exact same spot next year.” Actual winner: Blanchard.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 18669Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10379Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9301Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 7759Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 6777UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
- 6498Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 6417Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6385Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 6185Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 5448Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients