Douglass, Star Spencer playoff look-ahead
After a brutal stretch of back-to-back 14-7 losses to McGuinness and Weatherford, Douglass needs a strong finish to make the playoffs and, even if they do, avoid a No. 4 seed coming out of 4A-1.
I don’t think that’ll be an issue for Douglass. The Trojans’ defense will be too tough for Woodward this week (which would officially give Douglass a playoff berth) and Piedmont the week after shouldn’t offer too much resistance. And though Douglass officially stands in fourth right now, with Weatherford (5-0), McGuinness (4-1) and Elk City (4-1) ahead of them, that’s a bit deceptive. Elk City still has games against Weatherford and McGuinness remaining and Douglass already holds a 24-9 win over the Elks.
So barring something crazy, Douglass is going to finish third in 4A-1 and be forced to the road to beging the playoffs. This is where it gets interesting.
In the first round, they’ll play the second-place finisher in District 4A-2. Both of the possibilities there offer plenty of intrigue. It appears that district will come down to next week’s showdown at Glenpool between the top-ranked Warriors and Star Spencer. A Glenpool win would mean a rematch of Douglass-Star Spencer in the first round. Douglass beat Star Spencer 34-28 in the season’s second week but Star came on strong in that game and has consistently gotten better as the season goes on. A Star Spencer win there would send Douglass to Glenpool, where they’d have to face Marco Nelson, Glenpool’s very talented running back who is committed to Tulsa.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 13758Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9630Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9095Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 8238Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6533Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 6005Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 5369Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 4740Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 4592Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 4132Oklahoma tornadoes: 27 remain hospitalized from tornadoes
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients