Quick, name the sport Norman dominated for two decades. Hint: You'll never guess.
Take a crack at this: What sport did Norman dominate in for all of the 1970s and 1980s?
Soccer is a logical choice. But wrong. Soccer didn’t even start at NHS until 1985.
Football? Well, the Tigers were always strong during those years, but only among the state’s very best a handful of years.
Basketball, track and baseball were all among the best (after all, Norman was the biggest school in the state for most of the 80s). But never at the level of the sport in question.
Give up? (May as well. You’ll never get it I’m as much of a Norman sports historian as there is and I hadn’t a clue until I did the research this week).
Cross country. Yep, the old forgotten sport of the fall. Norman flat out ruled for a long, long time.
From 1970 to 1988, the Norman boys and girls combined to place first or second at the state meet 13 times in 19 seasons.
The boys team had the individual champion twice in the 80s.
The girls had the individual champ five times in a span of eight years. That’s unreal. It started with Rhona Ray winning in 1976 and 1977. Linda Maguire took the title in 1980. Then Laura McCoy went back-to-back in 1982 and 1983.
The boys team had a nearly as impressive span, winning one team championship and finishing runner-up four times in six seasons. Also, incredible. The Tigers were state runner-up in 1975, 1976, 1979 and 1980 and state champs in 1977. Norman’s boys also were state runner-up in 1970, 1986 and 1993.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 90847Read live updates from the May 20 Moore tornado
- 38051Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 9606Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 8192Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 7786Tornado in Oklahoma City suburb causes destruction
- 6372Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients