Little Axe earns first playoff berth...
By Robert Przybylo
Had a chance to talk with Little Axe coach Tony Smith today, and I can tell those kids and that school/community are on a high right now. The Indians are going to the playoffs for the first time ever since the team started in 1987.
It’s great to see a program like this, that has struggled for so long, find its footing. Little Axe was close last year, missing out by one district point. And Smith thought this might be the year.
How right he was. LA clinched a spot last week with a huge win against Lexington, maybe one of the biggest in school history.
Smith said the key is to not just accept making the playoffs. That’s easy to say, but I don’t begrudge those kids if they want to celebrate what they’ve accomplished so far.
Here is what is a little out of whack with Little Axe: The Indians have scored 195 points and given 200. Have to be the only 6-3 team with that type of point differential. LA has lost to Millwood, Bridge Creek and Jones.
Smith said it’s been the mental toughness this team has displayed that really stands out, especially in the win against Lexington. It was a different type of attitude that showed Smith his team is for real.
Running back Robby Dryden and quarterback Daniel Leonard are leading the way on offense while Brandon Miller and Dustin Hawkins are paving the way defensively.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 28939Read live updates from the May 20 Moore tornado
- 26978Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 5720Police: School near OKC directly hit by tornado
- 5000Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 2753Oklahoma twister tracked path of 1999 tornado
- 2336Tornado in Oklahoma City suburb causes destruction
- 2282Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients