Boneman: Signing Day thoughts...
By Robert Przybylo
I’m a softie at heart, so signing day is one of my favorite days of the sports year. It’s right up there with All-City and All-State days where the kids are allowed to relax and have fun.
I totally forgot about Signing Day until Sunday. With all the football playoff stuff, just plum forgot. But I definitely made the rounds today.
Started off the day at Heritage Hall at just past 10 a.m. and the signing of Julie Labarthe to Quinnipiac for tennis. As a HUGE tennis fan, I wasn’t going to miss this. Nice crowd, love to see the support of the students for some of the ‘minor’ sports. You can’t call tennis minor to me, but I understand not everyone’s cup of tea is a five-set, four-hour epic.
Went into the office and put that video in and blogged about it. Then it was off to Deer Creek for a trio of signings with Corbin Campbell (OBU, soccer), Ian Davis (OSU, golf) and Cale Coshow (OU, baseball). It was scheduled for 1:30.
Who made those posters of the kids? Those were beyond cool. Again, I have no artistic ability at all, so I marvel at stuff like that.
Each gave a brief speech before making it official. While there, Van Shea Iven joined the party and told me about the Edmond Santa Fe signing ceremony at 2:30. Hmm, why not?
We weren’t sure we were going to make it. The Antlers ceremony was nice and had a chance to talk with both Davis and Coshow.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 14589OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 8609Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 6402Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 6393Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 6018Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5816Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 4098As Boy Scouts' vote on gay members nears, faith groups weigh in
- 3659Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage after tall metal utility polls fall in northwest Oklahoma City
- 3653Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 3418Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients