Class 4A semifinals capsules
After the jump, the semifinals capsules for Class 4A.
Weatherford vs. Douglass, 7:30 p.m. Saturday at Yukon
Star Spencer vs. Sallisaw, 7:30 p.m. Saturday at Sapulpa
Ranking: No. 1
Coach: Mickey Seifried, second season at Weatherford.
Previous state titles: 1991 (3A), 1992 (4A), 1999 (4A)
Road to 2009 semifinal: Beat Seminole 24-14, beat Broken Bow 20-2
2008 record (playoffs): 4-6 (None)
Last week: Weatherford forced seven turnovers to stay undefeated, shutting out the Savages’ offense. The Eagles built a quick advantage, taking a 17-0 lead into halftime.
Player to watch: Kale Sawatzky, RB/LB. Sawatzky has more than 850 yards and 16 TDs rushing and 144 tackles and a pair of sacks on defense.
Key stat: 4,000. Weatherford’s offensive production through 12 games this season, an average of 333 per game.
News to know: Weatherford QB Jake Barrios has rushed for more than 950 yards and 13 TDs and thrown for more than 1,600 yards and 18 TDs. … Kyler Skinner has more than 500 receiving yards. … Kale Sawatzky and Kenny Johnson have 300 or more receiving yards each. … Chris Ramey has seven sacks. … Garrett Howell (126), Ryan Wilson (104) and Brandon Pounds (101) all have more than 100 tackles.
Ranking: No. 3
Coach: Willis Alexander, third season at Douglass.
Previous state titles: 1956 (2A), 1961 (B), 1976 (3A),
Road to 2009 semifinal: Beat Glenpool 14-0, beat Wagoner 14-0
2008 record (playoffs): 9-3 (Beat Seminole 42-30, lost to Broken Bow 27-18)
Last week: Douglass scored two fourth-qaurter touchdowns to break a scoreless tie and held on to record its second consecutive playoff shutout. Kevin Forbes and Quinton Neil each ran for more than 100 yards and a touchdown.
Player to watch: Corey Mitchell, LB. Mitchell has 98 tackles and seven sacks. He’s also the Trojans’ punter, averaging more than 34 yards per kick.
Key stat: 12.5. Average opponents scoring against the Trojans. No team has scored more than 14 on Douglass since a 34-28 win over fellow 4A semifinalist Star Spencer on Sept. 18.
News to know: Norris White, Devante McKinney and Stanley Johnson each have 10 or more sacks. … Douglass’ average of 334.4 rushing yards per game is the best in 4A. … Quinton Neil and Kevin Forbes each have more than 1,000 rushing yards this season. They’ve combined to score 26 TDs. … Antyoun Smith has more than 600 rushing yards and has thrown for more than 700 yards.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 10457Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9286Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 5848Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4983Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4420Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4301Oklahoma tornadoes: Price family recovering after some heavy blows
- 4216How to help tornado victims
- 4195Oklahoma tornadoes: Lack of storm shelters floors newcomers to Tornado Alley
- 4147Woman's body found in Payne County; two arrested
- 4123OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients