Class 5A semifinals capsules
After the jump, the capsules for the Class 5A semifinalists.
Carl Albert vs. El Reno, 7:30 p.m. Friday at Putnam City
Bixby vs. Guthrie, 7:30 p.m. Friday at Stillwater High
El Reno Indians
Ranking: No. 2.
Coach: Tom Cobble, second season at El Reno.
Previous state titles: None.
Road to 2009 semifinal: Beat Ardmore 34-14, beat McAlester 21-14.
2008 record (playoffs): 10-3 (beat Durant 27-18, beat Miami 14-7, lost to Booker T. Washington 28-7)
Last week: The Indians defense stopped McAlester QB Tony Kiefer insider the 1-yard line on fourth down with 44 seconds to go to keep them undefeated and advance to the semifinals.
Player to watch: Jakeil Everheart, QB. Everheart is a dual threat, running for more than 850 yards and throwing for nearly 1,500.
Key stat: 108.5. The average number of rushing yards given up by El Reno’s defense this season. The Indians have held six opponents to seven points or less.
News to know: Tyler Palmer leads El Reno in tackles with more than 100. … Cody Dauphin and Matt Yarbrough each had eight sacks during the regular season. … Matt Pruitt has six interceptions. … Jovia Franklin leads the Indians in receiving with more than 600 yards.
Carl Albert Titans
Ranking: No. 4
Coach: Gary Rose, 14th season at Carl Albert
Previous state titles: 1989 (4A), 1993 (5A), 1997 (5A), 1998 (5A), 1999 (5A), 2000 (5A), 2001 (5A), 2004 (5A), 2006 (5A).
Road to 2009 semifinal: Beat Lawton MacArthur 51-19, beat Bishop Kelley 34-31 in double overtime.
2008 record (playoffs): 12-2 (Beat Altus 48-0, beat Boxby 44-6, beat Lawton MacArthur 47-14, lost to Booker T. Washington 28-17.
Last week: J.T. Realmuto scored four times — twice in overtime — as the Titans knocked off previously unbeaten Kelley. Realmuto had 40 carries for 180 yards.
Player to watch: Tre Porter, RB/WR/FS. Porter, a Texas Tech commit, has more than 600 yards rushing on limited carried, around 600 yards receiving and has around 90 tackles.
Key stat: 39.2. Carl Albert’s scoring average this season, even with a 27-6 loss to Booker T. Washington to start the season. Since, the Titans have scored 28 or more points in every game and been held under 30 just once.
News to know: Kenton Whittington and Jeremiah Reed each have more than 100 tackles. … Porter is second in Class 5A in scoring with 21 touchdowns. … J.T. Realmuto went well past the 1,000 yard rushing mark with last week’s performance. He has scored 19 times. … Before last week’s win, Carl Albert had scored 40 or more points in six consecutive games.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 24190Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU
- 13456Classen School of Advanced Studies valedictorian disappears while hiking with family in Ecuador
- 11113Tom Ward is out as SandRidge's CEO
- 10453UPDATE: I-40 reopened at Shields after fatal wreck
- 7895Oklahoma State football: A stunning success story at the box office
- 6976Oklahoma State football: Mike Gundy lifts Wes Lunt restrictions, but too late
- 6568Prosecutors say stolen car was at heart of 2011 fatal shootings in Oklahoma City
- 6301Get App-y: Google Glass to offer heads-up computing
- 6165Team Blake's Danielle Bradbery wins "The Voice"; The Swon Brothers finish in third place
- 4992Will Oklahomans get on board with new water toy?
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients