Class 6A semifinals capsules
After the jump, here are the capsules for the Class 6A semifinalists:
Southmoore vs. Jenks, 7:30 p.m. Saturday at Putnam City
Tulsa Union vs. Broken Arrow, 7:30 p.m. Saturday at Tulsa University
Ranking: No. 4
Coach: Chris Jensen, 2nd season at Southmoore
Previous state titles: None.
Road to 2009 semifinals: Beat Lawton Eisenhower 34-42, beat Bartlesville 49-28.
2008 record (playoffs): 2-8 (None).
Last week: After struggling to put away an under-.500 Eisenhower team the week before, Southmoore had no such problems with Bartlesville. Kendal Thompson ran for 98 yards and threw for 190 and two touchdowns. Derek Serowski had 127 yards receiving and three touchdowns and Southmoore recorded four interceptions.
Player to watch: Austin Haywood, TE. Hawywood may be listed as a tight end but he does a little bit of everything on offense for Southmoore. Haywood ran for 57 yards and a touchdown last week and threw a touchdown pass to Derek Serowski out of the Wildcat.
News to know: Andrew Long has more than 1,500 rushing yards and nine TDs for the SaberCats. … Austin Haywood, DB Julian Wilson and QB Kendal Thompson are all committed to OU. … Nyko Symonds is Southmoore’s leading receiver with 732 yards and 6 TDs. … Haywood leads in receiving TDs with 10. … George Mallett leads the SaberCats with 131 tackles.
Ranking: No. 1
Coach: Loren Montgomery, 1st season (interim)
Previous state titles: 1979 (3A), 1982 (5A), 1993 (6A), 1996 (6A), 1997 (6A), 1998 (6A), 1999 (6A), 2000 (6A), 2001 (6A), 2003 (6A), 2006 (6A), 2007 (6A).
Road to 2009 semifinals: Beat Yukon 44-6, beat Edmond Memorial 28-14.
2008 record (playoffs): 3-11 (Beat Enid 45-28, beat Edmond Santa Fe 24-3, beat Mustang 35-20, lost to Tulsa Union 34-20). All three playoff wins, and six regular season wins, were later forfeited by Jenks.
Last week: The Trojans needed a pair of fourth-quarter touchdowns by Zack Langer to hold off Edmond Memorial. Langer ran for 268 yards and three touchdowns.
Player to watch: Zack Langer, RB. Langer is the leading rusher and scorer in Class 6A. Last week, he finished with 320 total yards.
Key stat: 34. Consecutive on-the-field wins by Jenks over teams other than Tulsa Union.
News to know: Trojans’ lineman David Lore had 10 tackles in last week’s win. … Junior QB Sawyer Kollmorgen has thrown for more than 2,000 yards this season. … Jenks OL Bob Graham is committed to Iowa State while OL Jake Alexander is committed to Tulsa. … The Trojans scored 40-plus points nine times this season, including seven consecutive before last week.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 79546Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 30543Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 28179Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 26729Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 7711Bounty hunters look for bail jumpers, fugitives on the streets of Oklahoma City
- 7142Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 7088Oklahoma tornadoes: Several homes damaged by tornado, but no injuries in Edmond
- 7050Severe storms possible in Oklahoma again Monday
- 6632Oklahoma storms: 2 Shawnee men victims of deadly tornado
- 6243Oklahoma football: Jay Norvell working on luring a tall group of wide receivers to Norman
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients