3 Qs: Sallisaw vs. Star Spencer
Over Thanksgiving Dinner (or afterward in a turkey-induced haze), here are three questions on Sallisaw heading into Saturday’s Class 4A semifinal between the Black Diamonds and Star Spencer (7:30 p.m., Sapulpa High):
Ryan Aber: We’ve got to start here: How good is Matt Oberste? Obviously he’s a great thrower but he’s not bad running the ball either. He had a critical 14-yard run late in the game last week and has more than 1,000 yards rushing.
Robert Przybylo: He just has that certain something, that ‘it’ quality. He doesn’t look like he should be able to do anything out there, but he gets out of sacks and has a good arm. And he’s tough. The one play that stood out to me more than any other last week was the Irish were attempting a reverse with Kyle Ahmad, and Oberste leveled him for a big loss. This is the same guy who had the collarbone injury. He did not care, that’s what that game meant to him.
Aber: Oberste’s obviously really good but we don’t hear much about his top target, Trey Wiley, who is approaching 900 receiving yards. Are those numbers a product of good hands and Oberste’s arm or is there something more there?
Przybylo: Like all great QB-WR combos, they have excellent chemistry. Oberste knows when he’s in trouble, he can throw it up to Wiley, and he’ll make a play. I’ve said it before that Wiley has the height (6-2 or 6-3), but only being 175 pounds or so doesn’t make him an attractive recruit. That’s too bad because he was able to stretch the McGuinness defense deep and showed the grit to be able to come across the middle when it was needed. I don’t know what else you want from a receiver.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 42155Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15090Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9670Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8506Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8490Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 7696Rock, pop, country acts give talents and time to help Oklahoma tornado victims
- 7550Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 6946Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 6921Carrie Underwood donates $1 million to Red Cross for disaster relief in wake of deadly Oklahoma tornadoes
- 5498Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients