SMQ: Douglass vs. Weatherford...
By Robert Przybylo
Came in expecting to see another hard-hitting instant classic. Problem was Douglass didn’t want to cooperate. From the second quarter on, never really felt like Weatherford was going to hang with the Trojans.
Douglass was too focused, executed too perfectly, wouldn’t be denied. Led by the defense and running game (shocker there, no?), the Trojans are moving on to the 4A championship.
Douglass 22, Weatherford 6
This game changed on one play. With Kevin Forbes and Quinton Neil battling for yards on the ground, Weatherford simply had no answer for Aliston Cobb.
That’s the thing about the Trojans. You can stop one, maybe even two of their backs, but what happens when that third or fourth guy comes? Cobb’s first carry was a 68-yard touchdown run, and that set the wheels in motion. It gave Douglass a 14-6 lead, a lead it would never relinquish.
Douglass really keyed in on Kale Sawatzky and didn’t allow him to do anything offensively. Defensively, yeah, Sawatzky was as good usual. I had Sawatzky with six carries for two yards to go with three receptions for 14 yards.
Douglass stepped it up in this game. Little things like both of the two-point conversion runs by Neil and Cobb stood out to me. They were both stopped at the line of scrimmage but willed themselves in for the two points. Wouldn’t be denied on this night.
With Cobb leading the way in the first half, Neil did his part in the second half, highlighted by a 58-yard touchdown run that had me writing ‘game over’ in my head. Douglass rushed for 327 yards.
Weatherford was going to have to come back via the passing game. Jake Barrios would have, and I’m fairly certain of that, but he didn’t have any time to throw it the entire night. He was sacked seven times and was intercepted.
For Weatherford, a dream season came to an end, but that senior class has left its mark and made the Eagles a player again.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 14439Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9547Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 7937Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 7761Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6962Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 6428Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 6287Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 5083Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 5032Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 4602UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients