5A finals capsule: Carl Albert vs. Bixby
By Ryan Aber
Carl Albert Titans
Ranking: No. 4
Coach: Gary Rose, 14th season at Carl Albert
Previous state titles: 1989 (4A), 1993 (5A), 1997 (5A), 1998 (5A), 1999 (5A), 2000 (5A), 2001 (5A), 2004 (5A), 2006 (5A).
Road to 2009 final: Beat Lawton MacArthur 51-19, beat Bishop Kelley 34-31 in double overtime, beat El Reno 44-7.
2008 record (playoffs): 12-2 (Beat Altus 48-0, beat Boxby 44-6, beat Lawton MacArthur 47-14, lost to Booker T. Washington 28-17.
Last week: For the second consecutive game, Carl Albert QB J.T. Realmuto scored four touchdowns on the ground as the Titans blew out the previously undefeated Indians. Carl Albert had three interceptions in the game and ran for 310 yards.
Player to watch: Tre Porter, RB/WR/FS. Porter, a Texas Tech commit, has more than 600 yards rushing on limited carries, around 600 yards receiving and has more than 90 tackles.
Key stat: 39.5. Carl Albert’s scoring average this season, even with a 27-6 loss to Booker T. Washington to start the season. Since, the Titans have scored 28 or more points in every game and been held under 30 just once.
News to know: Kenton Whittington and Jeremiah Reed each have more than 100 tackles. … J.T. Realmuto went well past the 1,000 yard rushing mark for the season in the Titans’ second-round win at Bishop Kelley. He stands at 1,272. … After last week, Realmuto and Tre Porter are tied at the top of Class 5A in scoring with 23 TDs each. … Before the double-overtime win over Kelley, Carl Albert had scored 40 or more points in six consecutive games. … In each of its nine previous state championships, Carl Albert had at least one regular-season loss.
Ranking: No. 8
Coach: Pat McGrew, 11th season at Bixby.
Previous state titles: None.
Road to 2009 final: Beat Tulsa Central 17-3, beat Shawnee 28-21, beat Guthrie 27-20.
2008 record (playoffs): 8-4 (Beat McAlester 25-3, lost to Carl Albert 44-6)
Last week: Kevin Lamb hit Tanner Hordabay on a 47-yard pass late in the game to set up the Spartans’ go-ahead touchdown. Lamb finished with 261 yards and two TDs passing and 59 yards on the ground.
Player to watch: DeWitt Jennings, RB. Jennings is one of the top rushers in 5A with more than 1,300 yards at 17 TDs.
Key stat: 4.8. Bixby’s difference in average yardage rushing vs. passing. The Spartans are one of the most offensively balanced teams in the state.
News to know: Taylor Schuyler is one of the top tacklers in 5A with 134. Schuyler had 12 tackles last week. He also has eight sacks. … Kameron Kopczynski has eight interceptions. … QB Kevin Lamb has thrown for nearly than 1,500 yards and 11 TDs. … Jack Fiscus is one of the top kickers in the state, with a long field goal of 47 yards. … Bixby beat Carl Albert 37-31 in the second round in 2007. … The Spartans will move up to Class 6A next season.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 39385Dillon Overton rips former Sooners coach Sunny Golloway on Twitter
- 13186Oklahoma football: New assistant Bill Bedenbaugh discusses state of OU's offensive line
- 12510New OSU CB Tyler Patmon, ex-OU QB Drew Allen among those to benefit from transfer rule
- 11930Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale - performance episode
- 10305UPDATE: Woman's body found in northwest Oklahoma City, her son arrested
- 7560Oklahoma City Thunder: Hard to tell if Shabazz Muhammad is on OKC's radar
- 7262Oklahoma baseball: Sunny Golloway wasn't Sooners' most beloved coach, but he got results
- 7231Oklahoma State football: Quarterback Wes Lunt transferring to Illinois
- 6637Top 5 regrets of the dying
- 5911Russell Westbrook is off crutches and says he's back
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients