Class 2A semifinals capsules
By Ryan Aber
After the jump, capsules on Pawhuska, Lincoln Christian, Millwood and Kingfisher.
Ranking: No. 8
Coach: Eddy Scott, fourth season at Pawhuska
Previous state titles: None.
Road to 2009 semifinals: Beat Vian 40-13, beat Morris 34-0, beat Heritage Hall 34-20.
2008 record (playoffs): 4-6 (None)
Last week: Pawhuska’s defense forced six turnovers, setting up five Huskies TDs of 26 yards or less as Pawhuska knocked off the defending 2A champions.
Player to watch: Kyle Culver, QB. Culver has around 800 yards passing and more than 800 yards rushing for the Huskies.
Key stat: 141.91. The average yardage given up by the Huskies this season, one of the lowest in Class 2A.
News to know: Hank Powell has around 1,000 yards rushing and 13 TDs. … Justin Garrison is around the 800-yard mark. …Garrison also leads the Huskies with more than 110 tackles. Hank Powell is also over the 100 mark. … Joe Conner is the Huskies’ leading receiver with 283 yards and 3 TDs.
Lincoln Christian Bulldogs
Ranking: No. 1
Coach: Darren Melton, eighth season at Lincoln Christian
Previous state titles: None.
Road to 2009 semifinals: Beat Adair 49-3, beat Beggs 30-0, beat Davis 24-21.
2008 record (playoffs): 12-2 (Beat Keys 63-6, beat Eufaula 58-26, beat Sulphur 40-0, lost to Heritage Hall 27-14)
Last week: Roman Wilson’s 27-yard field goal with one second remaining lifted Lincoln Christian into the semifinals, beating a previously undefeated Davis team. Wilson caught four passes for 56 yards on the game’s final drive.
Player to watch: Roman Wilson, WR. Wilson has well over 750 receiving yards and if the Eagles’ go-to playmaker.
Key stat: 41.5. The Eagles’ average point total this season. Before last week, no OSSAA opponent this season (Lincoln Christian played Arkansas power Shiloh Christian and Tulsa’s Holland Hall this season) had come closer than 24 points to Lincoln Christian.
News to know: The Eagles are in their second season of OSSAA competition after competing for six seasons as an independent. … Matt Lawwill leads the Eagles with more than 1,500 yards rushing. … Cale Grauer has thrown for more than 1,500 yards and 24 TDs.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 19883Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 16750Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 12000Rx drug bills sent to Oklahoma governor
- 11023Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 8434Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 8422Tulsa man tells police he smashed woman's head with machete in self-defense
- 7521Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 6223Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 5055Oklahoma City psychiatrist fined $25K for letting students write prescriptions
- 4821Will a MAPS 4 initiative involve a football stadium downtown?
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients