SMQ: Berryhill vs. Cascia Hall...
By Robert Przybylo
It’s your Saturday Morning Quarterback literally in the morning hours as it’s jut past 1 a.m. Wanted to write this while still fresh and before my thoughts get turned to Carl Albert/Bixby and Star Spencer/Douglass.
Well, I am the private schools writer, so it was only fitting I covered a private school team win the championship. And boy did Cascia win that championship.
I actually think the Commandos were a little overwhelmed by the moment at first. QB Stephen Rouse even told me after that being in Boone Pickens had ‘em a bit wide-eyed.
But when you have that defense that Cascia has, well, you’re never out of a game. And paced by that outstanding defense, Cascia chalked up its 41st straight win and third straight championship.
Class 3A Championship: Cascia Hall 21, Berryhill 0
Berryhill was the better team in the first half. The Chiefs were executing better on both sides of the ball, and Cascia was out of its element.
But one play changed this game: I’m referencing, of course, the fumble return TD by Garrett Waller with 2:23 left in the first half.
A great punt set that up, pinning Berryhill at its own 1-yard line. From my vantage point, I didn’t even see the fumble. All I saw was Waller start jumping up and down and celebrating.
Cascia was a little cute in the first half, but the Commandos were all business in the second half. And what meant was a healthy dose of Cet Caldwell.
After an interception by Mikey Sutton, Cascia struck with the deep ball as Stephen Rouse found AZ Moyer for a 35-yard strike that put it 14-0, and the writing was on the wall.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 24190Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU
- 13456Classen School of Advanced Studies valedictorian disappears while hiking with family in Ecuador
- 11113Tom Ward is out as SandRidge's CEO
- 10453UPDATE: I-40 reopened at Shields after fatal wreck
- 7895Oklahoma State football: A stunning success story at the box office
- 6976Oklahoma State football: Mike Gundy lifts Wes Lunt restrictions, but too late
- 6568Prosecutors say stolen car was at heart of 2011 fatal shootings in Oklahoma City
- 6301Get App-y: Google Glass to offer heads-up computing
- 6165Team Blake's Danielle Bradbery wins "The Voice"; The Swon Brothers finish in third place
- 4992Will Oklahomans get on board with new water toy?
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients