Boneman's SMQ: Carl Albert vs. Bixby...
By Robert Przybylo
The rubber match goes to Carl Albert. The Titans and Spartans were playing in the playoffs for the third straight year, but this was for all the marbles.
This game had a chance to be a blowout early, a classic late but ended up being a hard-fought victory for Gary Rose’s club to give Carl Albert its 10th state championship.
Carl Albert 21, Bixby 7
I really can’t stop talking about that 1:30 span by CA’s Taylor Hawkins. I had no idea who this kid was coming into the game. Ryan Aber tells me he might be the one who takes over the reins next year.
Back-to-back weeks I’ve seen the hook-and-lateral. As soon as Markell Walker caught it, I was already screaming it out. Just because it’s obvious doesn’t mean you can stop it.
Then that hit was something of pure beauty and capped it off with an interception.
At this point, it was 14-0, and I thought blowout city. But as Bixby had done all season, the Spartans found that resolve and worked themselves back in.
Problem was Bixby couldn’t get DeWitt Jennings going all game. Kevin Lamb had some success in the first half, but in the second half, the offense was stymied.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 14605Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9594Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8537Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 8009Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6980Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 6486Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 6299Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 5124Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 5057Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 4620UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients