Kingfisher: Never out of a game...
By Robert Przybylo
Class 2A championship
Kingfisher (12-2) vs. Lincoln Christian (13-1)
When: 1:30 p.m Saturday
Where: Boone Pickens Stadium, Stillwater (Matt Patterson and myself will be there)
Millwood took a 12-0 lead against Kingfisher. And with all the talent on the Falcons’ squad, it wouldn’t have shocked anybody to see the Yellowjackets fold.
They didn’t and scored the final 27 points to move on to the championship with the 27-12 victory last week.
“That game against Bridge Creek gave us a lot of confidence that we could work out of any hole,” senior Blake Jech said. “We’ve been a different team since that one.”
Kingfisher trailed Bridge Creek 16-0 in the second round of the playoffs before rallying for a 33-32 victory. The Yellowjackets have won nine straight games.
And in talking to several Kingfisher players and even coach Jeff Myers, they all say that Bridge Creek game was the difference in the season.
This team quietly went under the radar because of the 3-2 start. Not only that start, but because the 28-7 loss to Tuttle and 17-0 setback to Heritage Hall didn’t really suggest this team was for real.
But once Derek Patterson became healthy and Jordan Woods got back into game shape, this team has been on a mission.
I’ve been able to tell from talking to the kids the last few weeks that it’s just a different attitude right now. It still might not be enough against a team as great as Lincoln Christian, but Kingfisher isn’t going to just lie down and let the Bulldogs have their way with ‘em.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 36375Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 32316Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 24292Oklahoma tornado levels homes in trailer park
- 8069Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 6178OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 3621College football: Coaches, athletes weigh in on NCAA's suspended recruiting proposals
- 3359Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 3278Brittney Griner: Kim Mulkey said keep quiet on sexuality
- 3188Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 3141George Nigh has long been 'Four' Oklahoma
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients