Heritage: Markus Wakefield making a difference...
By Robert Przybylo
When I think of the Heritage Hall boys basketball team, sophomore Markus Wakefield doesn’t really come to mind. In fact, he would be somewhere around the fifth or sixth guy I’d think of.
But ask coach Mike Walker, and it’s Wakefield that has made a big difference in the team’s turnaround.
The Chargers have won three in a row. A two-point win against Tuttle, a two-point OT win against Perry, and a redemption win (45-35) at Casady on Tuesday.
I was at the first meeting where the Cyclones won 36-34, but it was a different story for the Chargers. After a shaky first quarter, the team came alive.
I asked Walker what the biggest difference has been and he said: trust and comfort.
The coaches have more trust in the kids and because of that, the kids are a lot more comfortable. Hmm, makes sense.
The Chargers were using about a 7-man rotation, but now Walker is OK with opening up. Everyone knows their role and does their part.
When it comes to Wakefield, Walker said the sophomore has the best basketball IQ outside of Andrew Hudiburg on the team. Wakefield, of course, is a beast for the football team and has limitations.
However, Walker said Wakefield knows his limitations and doesn’t try to do too much.
If you would have asked me a couple of weeks ago, I would have told you the Chargers were good team that just can’t find their rhythm. Looks like I was wrong, very interested to see them again.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 19791Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 7602OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 6827Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 6472OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 5877Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 4499Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 4468Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 4211Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 3402Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 3381Four burning questions - Was the Thunder's season a failure?
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients