Private schools POW: Elyse Hight, Irish...
By Robert Przybylo
It was a battle between a couple of Bishop McGuinness standouts for this week’s honor, but I thought this sophomore made a bigger impression this week.
The Irish girls basketball team was in danger of not only blowing an 11-point lead in the fourth quarter but doing it at home…on homecoming…against their rival.
But there would be no miracle comeback for Bishop Kelley because of Elyse Hight. Scoring more than half the team’s points and derailing the comeback attempt makes her the Private schools Player of the Week.
Hight scored 20 points in the 39-35 win. And the way she played in the second half opened my eyes. She’s had a couple of big games this season (most notably in a loss to Edmond North), but the way that she played Friday has to have Irish supporters a little bit giddy.
McGuinness is being powered by its post, and you thought that just meant Cara Pugh and Alexa Lienhard. But Hight is showing when she gets a chance, she’ll make the most out of it.
I said it Friday night, but it’s how strong she is with the ball that is setting her apart. She’s able to convert when she gets a hit, and there’s a big difference in always going for three-point plays vs. shooting two free throws.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 12798Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 12779Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 12087OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 10010Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 8450Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 6619Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 6098Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 5063Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 4898Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 4189'Hatchet hitchhiker' arrested after attorney found dead
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients