Rugby growing in popularity...
By Robert Przybylo
Received an out-of-the-blue call from Canton football coach Rob Davis on Tuesday, always good to hear from the coach.
But he wanted to talk about rugby. Wait, rugby? Apparently the sport is really picking up steam here in Oklahoma. And who am I to disagree?
Football players who don’t play other sports but need that focus to stay in shape now have another alternative. Powerlifting has really become huge because of it and now rugby is joining that group.
Canton made the Class B football championship, losing to Garber. Davis said rugby was a reason as to why the team had such great success.
Right now there are 10 club rugby teams, with Canton easily the smallest of the schools participating.
Last week was the first week of the season. Here are the standings and here is the schedule:
The Brethren (1-0)
Broken Arrow (0-1)
Edmond Storm (0-1)
This week’s matches (all Saturday): Bixby at Broken Arrow; The Brethren at Bartlesville; Union at Mustang; Edmond Storm at Norman; Canton at Jenks.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 10457Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9286Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 5848Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4983Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4420Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4301Oklahoma tornadoes: Price family recovering after some heavy blows
- 4216How to help tornado victims
- 4195Oklahoma tornadoes: Lack of storm shelters floors newcomers to Tornado Alley
- 4147Woman's body found in Payne County; two arrested
- 4123OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients