El Reno's Kerr happy to be coaching again
El Reno coach Shane Kerr is coaching in the 5A West regional at Deer Creek. Kerr has faced tons of adversity in the last few months, but is back feeling healthy again and his team is responding. El Reno put Cory and Cody Dauphin in the regional finals and have several wrestlers still alive on the backside. Kerr isn’t happy about El Reno’s season, but he’s glad to be around to coach. Here’s a look at Kerr’s recent health story…..
Most high school wrestling coaches are enthusiastic about leading their teams into the Class 5A west regionals at Deer Creek, but El Reno coach Shane Kerr has an extra bounce in his step these days. It was just four months ago that Kerr was dealing with a golf ball sized brain tumor behind his right eye. The tumor was removed and was benign, meaning it hadn’t spread to other parts of his body.
“I never really had time to be scared,” Kerr said. “I went in to get my eyes checked and the next thing I knew they were cracking my head open.”
The scar on the right side of his head is still visible underneath his hair, but Kerr is back to normal aside from some mild vision problems. He returned to work after the Christmas break.
“I’m screaming and yelling as good as ever,” Kerr said. “I’m a red head so I’m a fighter, but going through it showed me what life is all about.”
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 24778Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU
- 14485Classen School of Advanced Studies valedictorian disappears while hiking with family in Ecuador
- 10221UPDATE: I-40 reopened at Shields after fatal wreck
- 9929Tom Ward is out as SandRidge's CEO
- 8118Oklahoma State football: A stunning success story at the box office
- 7280Oklahoma State football: Mike Gundy lifts Wes Lunt restrictions, but too late
- 6506Prosecutors say stolen car was at heart of 2011 fatal shootings in Oklahoma City
- 6361Get App-y: Google Glass to offer heads-up computing
- 6228Team Blake's Danielle Bradbery wins "The Voice"; The Swon Brothers finish in third place
- 5696OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients