Private schools POW: Lizzy Whitbeck, Bishop McGuinness...
By Robert Przybylo
This is the first class I feel like I’ve watched grow up. I remember watching Lizzy Whitbeck as a sophomore at the state tournament.
As good as she was, she was only the third best swimmer in her normal practice group as her sister, Katie, and Edmond Memorial star Samantha Woodward had her beat.
Flash forward to this year, and I don’t think there is a better girls swimmer in the state. She just carries herself around with so much confidence because she knows her abilities.
And while I’m giving the Private schools Player of the Week to Lizzy Whitbeck, it could really go to the entire Irish girls swimming team.
Seniors Danielle and Amee Pena and Erin Gaffney all played big roles in giving the team its second straight Class 5A state championship.
Whitbeck plans to walk-on at Arkansas, where Katie is at. I think she’ll be just fine. Lizzy won the 200 IM and 100 breaststroke and was also named the Swimmer of the Year by the coaches.
Spoiler alert: she has one more award coming to her from this writer as well.
The senior quartet also won two relays, the 200 Medley and the 400 Free. In other words, they started the show with a title and closed it out with one.
Narayan Naik, Heritage Hall, Swimming: Concluded a great career for the Chargers with wins in the 200 IM and 100 backstroke and was also named the Swimmer of the Year by the coaches. Chargers placed a solid third.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 85341Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 16721OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 12445Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 12075Clippers' Donald Sterling hints coach let go to keep Chris Paul
- 11152Oklahoma tornado: Names of dead released; missing individuals located
- 9705Oklahoma tornadoes: Red Cross text donations not designated for Oklahoma
- 9037How to help tornado victims
- 8773Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8553Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 7603Excessive speed, alcohol, operator inattention contributed to fatal boat crash, report states
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients