Wrestling: TWO on the takedown...
By Robert Przybylo
There is no doubt in my mind this four-week stretch is the busiest month of the year for me. It begins in the pool, moves to the mat and ends with two weeks on the hardwood.
The first weekend (swimming) was outstanding. A lot of great stories discovered, new champions crowned, fun, lively atmosphere on both days.
If it wasn’t for deadline issues (it’s tight sometimes), wrestling would be my favorite weekend of all. I’ve loved wrestling for a long time and am looking forward to being out at State Fair Arena all weekend for the state championships for the fourth year in a row.
I was in Shawnee for year No. 1, following Aaron Smith and Gary Frazier and this will mark the third year in a row I’ll be camped out for The Oklahoman.
Fellow chum Matt Patterson and myself have been going class-by-class with previews. And we’ve saved the best for last as Matt has written a doozy of a piece on the legacy of Perry wrestling.
I received an ‘advanced copy’ and can tell you it is going to be well worth the wait. Photographer John Clanton did a fantastic job of making the story come alive. I can’t wait to see how it all turns out.
With Class 3A being profiled in Friday’s paper (you can view the bracket here), here’s a recap of what we’ve done and we’ve been so far this week:
Class 6A - Matt went to my neck of the woods and Edmond Santa Fe with Wolves heavyweight Tyler Shaw. Shaw was a beast for the football team and has done just fine on the mat.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 83911Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 66115Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 33602Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 20416Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 18059Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 13064Oklahoma sucker-punched by second round of twisters
- 9549Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 8530Bounty hunters look for bail jumpers, fugitives on the streets of Oklahoma City
- 8480Oklahoma football: Jay Norvell working on luring a tall group of wide receivers to Norman
- 8114Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients