Class 4A, 3A wrestling: Day 2...
By Robert Przybylo
Even though the championships are considerably longer than the semifinals at the state wrestling tournament, they are much more rewarding to write about. You don’t feel bogged down by anything.
And when you’re covering some of the studs at Tuttle and Perry (among a host of others), it’s easy to get excited about what you’re seeing.
- You kinda knew before Friday morning that Tuttle was going to be walking away with the championship. When you have 14 kids there, you’re bound to pick up some points along the way.
And having four champions sure doesn’t hurt the cause. And three of them (Colton Roberts, Cole Gracey and Shane Woods) became two-time champions at that. Zachary Beard was the other titlist for the Tigers.
Tuttle won convincingly, with Sallisaw placing second and Cushing a solid third.
- Sallisaw’s Jeromy Davenport continues his dominance. He is so much fun to watch as he earned his third straight state championship. Smart money would have him going for No. 4 at this point next year. He beat Stilwell’s Hunter Muskrat in the championship.
- A lot of fun in seeing the reaction of Piedmont’s Brantley Pyle to winning at 135 pounds. Pyle became Piedmont’s second champion EVER, and it came from a senior who had never qualified for state before this year. Good stuff.
- Cushing’s Ty Fittje was sensational as always. And in earning his second state championship, Fittje was also named the Most Outstanding Wrestler for 4A, a well-deserved honor.
- And congratulations to Catoosa’s Ben Morgan for winning his third state title.
- To go with the team title, Tuttle earned the academic achievement honor as well.
- The story was Ian Fisher. Whether it was his undefeated season or becoming the 24th Oklahoma wrestler to win four state titles. Or because he barely even celebrated such a huge accomplishment.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 36498Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 32022Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 18998Oklahoma tornado levels homes in trailer park
- 7837Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 6469OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 3675College football: Coaches, athletes weigh in on NCAA's suspended recruiting proposals
- 3601Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 3336Brittney Griner: Kim Mulkey said keep quiet on sexuality
- 3267Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 3222OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients