Edmond POW: Nolan Boyd, Deer Creek...
By Robert Przybylo
I know Deer Creek wrestling coach Andy Howington was banking on the Brothers Boyd leaving State Fair Arena with state championships.
When Heath Boyd lost, it deflated the air in the Antlers’ balloon a little. But the win and the celebration by Nolan Boyd may have made up for anything.
Seriously, take a look at that great photo (by photographer Bryan Terry)? How cool is that? Boyd earned his state title with a 5-2 decision victory over Max Adair of Lawton MacArthur. And to the victory goes the spoils as he is the Edmond Player of the Week.
Sparked by the Brothers Boyd’s contributions, the Antlers placed fourth in the team race, which was about what the best the team could have hoped for.
Heath Boyd ended up placing fourth after losing in the semifinals. And at 119 pounds, Zac Dunlop worked his way to a fourth-place finish.
In these kind of sports, the Antlers never have the most depth of some of the big shots, but Deer Creek never ever sells itself short and gets everything it can from its kids.
Alec Warren, North, Wrestling: As a freshman, came ‘this close’ to a state championship, placing second at 135 pounds.
Sam Eccles and Josh Durham, North, Wrestling: Eccles placed third at 112 while Durham placed fourth despite losing his first match of the tournament.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 17652Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale - performance episode
- 13467Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 11283Police shoot, kill man holding child hostage in Midwest City
- 10735'Firehouse' in Oklahoma City's Deep Deuce is set to become new home
- 10251Norman man threatens Oklahoma Gov. Fallin's 'child' and local sheriff in emails
- 10005Dillon Overton rips former Sooners coach Sunny Golloway on Twitter
- 6673Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
- 6352Oklahoma football: New assistant Bill Bedenbaugh discusses state of OU's offensive line
- 6100Brad Lund granted two-year lease to Taft Stadium for soccer team
- 5666OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients