Ed Memorial: Trip east is OK with 'Dogs...
By Robert Przybylo
I admit I didn’t really know Memorial girls coach Shane Coffey that well until this season. And now I also admit that I look forward to talking to him as much as possible.
It’s something in the way he delivers his words. You know he believes what he’s saying, and you know how much he loves his kids.
But when his girls lost five of seven games earlier this season, I thought maybe Coffey had blinders on. Nope, turns out he knew exactly what his team is made of.
The Bulldogs have won five in a row, including a great OT win at Union on Saturday. If Memorial can beat Owasso on Thursday, it has punched its ticket to state.
Coffey said it depends from year to year when it comes to going east. He said the different environments help out the kids, and they’re definitely mentally prepared.
Owasso is led by New Mexico signee Morgan Toben. At 6-3, she’s quite the force. Can the trio of Katy Allen, Paige Locke and Alie Decker hold Toben down? When we know Thursday’s result, think we’ll have our answer on that one.
Coffey is also an Okarche graduate, and he said he’ll be keepin’ tabs on the Okarche boys and girls clubs. Ideally, ‘we can take care of business Thursday, and then I could come back and watch them Friday.’
Coffey said he’s proud of the way his girls stayed strong during the struggles, but I think a lot of that comes from him never losing his confidence in those girls. This is a team that is really coming together at the right time. You love seeing a team find its rhythm at this time of year.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 81135Read live updates from the May 20 Moore tornado
- 32459Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 7786Tornado in Oklahoma City suburb causes destruction
- 5720Police: School near OKC directly hit by tornado
- 5362Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 3318Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients