No. 1 Garber cruises over Thomas
BY RYAN ABER
NORMAN—Once Garber settled in, the Wolverines had little trouble with Thomas on Friday night in the first round of the Class A boys state basketball tournament at Norman High.
Garber got off to a rough start but came back for a 39-21 win Thursday night.
The Wolverines (24-2) advance to play Fort Towson at 9 p.m. Friday night at State Fair Arena. Thomas ends its season 20-9.
Thomas led 13-8 midway through the second quarter, as Jason Miller scored seven early points as it looked like Garber would be seriously tested.
But Garber’s Hayden Vencl, who Miller had scored many of his points against, caught fire.
Vencl scored six, pulled down several key rebounds and blocked a couple of shots during a 18-1 run that put the game firmly in Garber’s hands.
“I just realized I had to buckle down on offense and make things happen,” Vencl said. “They’re a good team and they gave us all we wanted.”
Thomas went nearly 12 minutes without a field goal in the stretch.
Vencl finished with 11 rebounds and five blocks.
Tyler Miller led Garber in scoring with 17. Miller was 12 of 14 from the free-throw line.
Jason Miller had 10 to lead the Terriers.
Garber scored the game’s last 11 points.
Garber’s only losses this season came in the Tournament of Champions in Tulsa against teams in much larger classes.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 17652Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale - performance episode
- 13467Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 11283Police shoot, kill man holding child hostage in Midwest City
- 10735'Firehouse' in Oklahoma City's Deep Deuce is set to become new home
- 10251Norman man threatens Oklahoma Gov. Fallin's 'child' and local sheriff in emails
- 10005Dillon Overton rips former Sooners coach Sunny Golloway on Twitter
- 6673Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
- 6352Oklahoma football: New assistant Bill Bedenbaugh discusses state of OU's offensive line
- 6100Brad Lund granted two-year lease to Taft Stadium for soccer team
- 5666OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients