Norman North girls snapped their win-loss string when they absolutely had to
After running its string of alternating wins and losses to 11 straight games, Norman North snapped it when it had to and advanced to the state tournament for the first time since 2002.
In his second season, coach Jeff Blough has returned the program to prominence as senior Madison Marquardt and juniors Mariah Turner and Hayley Scott have paced the balanced T-Wolves attack. Andee Wayne, Payge Wilson, Tori Thomas and Kiana Moridi have been invaluable as well.
Saturday, No. 9 North, which is playing in the east-side 6A playoff bracket, knocked off No. 8 Owasso 47-41. It was the T-Wolves’ first back-to-back wins since a 17-day break in the season from Jan. 19 to Feb. 2. Before the layoff, North had been 11-2.
Blough said at the time he was concerned that the long break — which was caused because of missing a tournament (long story) and the snow storms that caused so many games to be postponed — could halt the momentum his club had built. Turns out he was right. Still, North broke the streak when it absolutely had to if it wanted to keep playing, which says a lot about the character of this team.
So, now it’s on to state. Edmond North awaits.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 17348Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 13445OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 11653'Firehouse' in Oklahoma City's Deep Deuce is set to become new home
- 11177Norman man threatens Oklahoma Gov. Fallin's 'child' and local sheriff in emails
- 8712Was Special Treatment Given in Oklahoma Vice Mayor DUI Traffic Stop?
- 7813Police shoot, kill man holding child hostage in Midwest City
- 7268Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale
- 7021Brad Lund granted two-year lease to Taft Stadium for soccer team
- 7006Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
- 6811Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale - performance episode
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients