Southmoore's Haywood getting hoops recognition he should have received in football
Any All-America recognition Southmoore’s Austin Haywood has received is warranted. But it should be in the correct sport.
Haywood is one of hundreds of basketball players nationwide who were named as McDonald’s All-American candidates this season. Word was that he’d been named a finalist for the honor, meaning he is one of 100 players up for the McDonald’s team. That turned out to be incorrect, but it brings up a point.
Frankly, Haywood deserves recognition, but mainly because he wasn’t afforded enough consideration for All-America honors in football.
Haywood has signed to play football for Oklahoma and the tight end has already drawn comparisons to former OU and NFL great Keith Jackson. Still, he wasn’t among the All-Americans chosen for the two football games.
Now, know this, Haywood is one heck of a basketball player. He’s a terrific athlete. Terrific athletes are virtually always good at any sport they choose on the prep level. But his basketball ability is not on the same level as his football skill set. Haywood may be among the top 10 to 15 basketball players in the state, but he may not make the Oklahoman’s Super Five team. It’s almost like the McDonald’s All-America consideration is a make-up move for not recognizing him as one of the country’s elite football players, which Haywood is. Of course, that’s not the case, because the grid All-America teams and hoops equivalent aren’t associated.
Either way, it’s a fitting reward for Haywood to receive recognition on a national level. Much deserved. It just would have been more appropriate to see it in his best sport.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 14589OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 8609Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 6402Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 6393Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 6018Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5816Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 4098As Boy Scouts' vote on gay members nears, faith groups weigh in
- 3659Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage after tall metal utility polls fall in northwest Oklahoma City
- 3653Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 3418Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients