Edmond POW: Mahlon Jones, Santa Fe...
By Robert Przybylo
Sometimes you try to ‘save’ certain stories for just the right time. That’s exactly what I was trying to do with Santa Fe senior Mahlon Jones.
He’s such a good kid – intelligent kid, that I was hoping to give him the spotlight at last weekend’s state tournament.
The Wolves, of course, were eliminated in overtime in the semifinals against eventual-champion Putnam City, but it wasn’t because of Jones.
Jones made a dramatic leap from his junior to senior year. And to go with Drew Hall, the two were the unquestioned leaders of the team.
Coach Shawn Schenk is absolutely baffled as to why more schools aren’t taking a look at Jones. What impresses me more than anything else for Jones is the tenacity he shows on defense. He shows up every night on that side of the ball.
So while he didn’t get to be the ‘focus’ of a championship story and the Wolves didn’t win the title, he earns the Edmond Player of the Week.
Other team contenders
North girls basketball team: Just couldn’t overcome that blazing start by Norman in the semifinals, but the Huskies return a solid group, anchored by Elizabeth Donohoe and TaNita Dewberry. Out in the first round last year, semifinals this year. Old adage ‘learn to crawl before you can walk.’ Sometimes you have to learn how to lose to make you want to win that bad.
Memorial girls basketball team: Team wasn’t in the conversation at 9-9 but won seven straight games to reach the state tournament. Good battle with Norman before bowing out 40-34. Coach Shane Coffey does a great job of getting what he can out of his players, and with Alie Decker leading the charge, imagine we’ll be talking about these girls a lot next year.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 22176Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 12149Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 10702Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8951Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8805Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8651Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 8107Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 7311Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 7062Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 6971UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients