PC West's Neal named Gatorade POY
Putnam City West’s boys basketball season ended short of the gold ball the Patriots desired, but postseason acclaim is still coming their way.
PC West’s 6-foot-6 senior forward Tyler Neal was named the state’s Gatorade Player of the Year on Thursday.
Neal averaged 18.6 points and 8.3 rebounds in teaming with fellow standout Amric Fields to lead the Patriots to the Class 6A semifinals in their first state tournament appearance since 1977.
“We wish we would’ve gone a little further, but we had a good season,” Neal said Thursday while out of town for spring break. “This is a great honor, but it wasn’t just me. It took the whole team for us to be as successful as we were.”
While he remains undecided on his college future, Neal has received recruiting interest from Oklahoma coach Jeff Capel in recent weeks. He is keeping much of the recruiting process private, but has received offers from multiple NCAA Division I programs.
– Scott Wright, firstname.lastname@example.org
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 90847Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 38051Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 13567Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 12400Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 7786Tornado in Oklahoma City suburb causes destruction
- 6766Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients