Ed Memorial tennis: Seeing double...
By Robert Przybylo
Let’s continue the team-by-team look at some of the local squads at the big tennis tournament at Heritage and move on to Edmond Memorial.
I wasn’t sure how Edmond Memorial was going to replace singles star Duncan Fugitt. And the truth is I’m still not sure how the Bulldogs will.
However, it’s not as big a concern as I thought as this team is deeper than it was last year and has a real chance to mess up things in 6A this year.
The boys had a tremendous showing at the Heritage Hall Tournament of Champions, placing second. Technically, it was a tie with Union but a head-to-head tie-breaker gave it to Memorial.
Seeing double is definitely why Memorial did as well as it did as the doubles teams are going to be contending, no matter who comprises them.
Any combo of Gavin Dubberstein, Truit Gray, Bowen Xu and Omar Karim is going to be tough for teams to handle.
The No. 1 doubles (Dubberstein-Gray) and No. 2 (Xu-Karim) each won the championship and showed what this team can do when it plays up to its potential.
Coach Randy Mays is a tremendous coach, and I love the way he approaches the game and his teams. It was fun/uplifting to just hear him imparting his wisdom this weekend. No notes taken, just listening.
The girls aren’t as strong as the boys, but they’re still a solid bunch. Think there will be a lot of lineup changes before this is all said and done. And when it is all said and done, Memorial will be around the 5th-place range in 6A.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 71664Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 31265Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 29267Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 20588Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 6679Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 6629Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 6010Oklahoma tornadoes: Several homes damaged by tornado, but no injuries in Edmond
- 5747Bounty hunters look for bail jumpers, fugitives on the streets of Oklahoma City
- 5482Severe storms possible in Oklahoma again Monday
- 5176Oklahoma football: Jay Norvell working on luring a tall group of wide receivers to Norman
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients