Defending 5A champion wins Irish Easter Classic
BY RYAN ABER
Altus’ Megan Blonein had been in the situation before.
Edmond North’s Carly Yates had not.
Blonein, who won the 5A state title last year as a freshman, parred the first hole of a playoff to beat Yates and win the Fifth Annual Irish Easter Invitational at Quail Creek on Monday.
For Blonein, it was her third playoff. Yates had not been in a playoff in high school.
Blonein’s drive on the playoff hole went left on the par 4 No. 1. But she safely punched her second shot out of the trees to just in front of the green and finished off the tournment win after Yates’ second shot sailed over the green, then wound up a bunker with her third shot.
Yates posted her round of 78 about three hours before the playoff, while Blonein finished not long before the playoff.
Blonein got off to a rough start, shooting a 42 on the back nine where she started. But she quickly bounced back on the front side, with back-to-back birdies on holes three and four to get back in the tournament.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 14558OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 11841Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 8216Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 6574Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 6065Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5464Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 4374Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 4081'Hatchet hitchhiker' arrested after attorney found dead
- 4060Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 4007Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients