Ed North: Special meeting next Monday on Rick Nordyke...
By Robert Przybylo
EDMOND — Former players and coaches voiced their support for Edmond North softball coach Rick Nordyke on Monday night at the Edmond School Board meeting.
There have been 10 complaints alleging mistreatment and bullying of baseball and softball players in the last year with Nordyke as coach.
No action was taken by the board, and a special meeting will be at 6 p.m. next Monday to review the complaints against the longtime coach.
Nordyke was Edmond North’s first baseball coach. He resigned last spring but has stayed on as the head softball coach.
Supporters of Nordyke wore T-shirts saying, “Team Nordyke” on one side and “Value the Truth” on the other and included several current players as well as former colleagues.
“I’ve known Rick Nordyke for 40 years. I’ve had three kids play under Nordyke, and it’s been an honor for me to have them play for this man,” said Oklahoma City University baseball coach Denney Crabaugh.
Representing the parents that filed the complaints was attorney David Kearney on Monday.
“This is not about playing time,” Kearney said. “This is not related to that at all. This is about abusive behavior and creating a negative atmosphere.
“This is 10 different parents complaining about how the coach treats their kids in such a fashion that kids quit the team.”
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 101218Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15357OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13402Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8724Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8110How to help tornado victims
- 8098Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8041Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort
- 6720Oklahoma tornadoes: Oklahoma singer packs tour bus with donations for storm victims
- 6515Oklahoma tornadoes: Red Cross text donations not designated for Oklahoma
- 5990Oklahoma tornadoes: Tornado leaves family members in two hospitals and one dead
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients