PC West's Tyler Neal signs with Sooners
Putnam City West standout Tyler Neal made it official on Friday, signing his letter of intent to play basketball at Oklahoma.
Neal, The Oklahoman’s Super 5 Player of the Year, averaged 18.2 points and 8.9 rebounds per game in helping the Patriots to the state tournament for the first time in 33 years.
A long-time Sooner fan, Neal said the recruiting process was stressful until OU coach Jeff Capel began showing interest late in the season.
“When I heard coach Capel was interested, it definitely relieved me a little bit,” he said after Friday’s signing ceremony in a packed PC West gym. “When I committed, it was some unlimited amount of weight off my shoulders.
“I’ve grown up watching OU football and OU basketball, going to games with family. I always thought that was the place for me. I decided if I’d ever get a scholarship, that I’d take it.”
Neal has already been playing pick-up games with OU players on weekends and will begin classes and workouts in June.
“Tyler is one of those special players that only comes along so often in a high school coach’s career,” coach Tim Stogsdill said. “It’s been my honor and privilege to have been able to have coached such an outstanding student-athlete. He has made the PC West community proud and will carry that with him to OU and make the Sooner Nation proud.”
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 96583Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 17286OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13078Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8797Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8670Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8388How to help tornado victims
- 7627Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort
- 7620Oklahoma tornadoes: Red Cross text donations not designated for Oklahoma
- 6948Oklahoma tornadoes: Tornado leaves family members in two hospitals and one dead
- 6645Oklahoma tornado: Names of dead released; missing individuals located
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients