Rugby: Jenks, Canton stand tall...
By Robert Przybylo
Jenks defeated Bixby in the finals of the Green Country Rugby state tournament in Norman on Sunday, but Canton also had a reason to celebrate.
Canton, Mustang and Broken Arrow were the lone squads to feature solely high school players. When Canton won 36-0 against Broken Arrow on Saturday, the Tigers clinched the high school championship.
All the other teams featured U19 players. Canton was undefeated all season but lost in the semifinals.
Canton has advanced to the rugby high school regionals in the Dallas area next month. The Tigers will play St. Thomas Aquinas (Kansas City, Mo.) in the first round.
“This is a great opportunity for our kids, and we’re real excited about it. We don’t want to stop here,” Canton coach Robert Davis said.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 15916Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 15914Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale - performance episode
- 11583Police shoot, kill man holding child hostage in Midwest City
- 11309'Firehouse' in Oklahoma City's Deep Deuce is set to become new home
- 10923Norman man threatens Oklahoma Gov. Fallin's 'child' and local sheriff in emails
- 10033OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 7498Dillon Overton rips former Sooners coach Sunny Golloway on Twitter
- 6996Was Special Treatment Given in Oklahoma Vice Mayor DUI Traffic Stop?
- 6944Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
- 6781Brad Lund granted two-year lease to Taft Stadium for soccer team
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients