Irish: Girls tennis sharp as always...
By Robert Przybylo
I was in unchartered territory Tuesday while watching tennis (Bishop McGuinness Tournament). That is the first time I’ve seen an indoor high school match.
Wow. Without the wind changing how the kids have to play, these girls can absolutely rip it indoors.
The main match that caught my eye was the No. 1 singles final between Mia Lancaster of the Irish and Edmond North’s Rachel Mitcham. That was some sweet stuff.
Lancaster won 6-1, 6-0, but the quality from both was great to see. Lancaster has some powerful ground strokes when she’s allowed to just hit.
Mitcham didn’t play bad, not at all. In fact, a lot of the shots that Lancaster got back are prob going to be winners against some of the other top 6A players.
Edmond North freshman Ann Pepper also played outstanding in a 6-2, 6-2 loss to Emily Conrad of McGuinness. It’s Pepper’s first loss at No. 2 singles, but she played really well.
Irish No. 1 doubles team of Trinian O’Neil and Whitney Ritchie were dominant, not losing a game in the championship match. That match was the lone championship contested outdoors.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 15918Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 8813OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 6389Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 5669Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 5503OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 4915Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 4833Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 3560Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 3491Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 3466As Boy Scouts' vote on gay members nears, faith groups weigh in
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients