Tennis: Edlam showdowns to determine champion...
By Robert Przybylo
Oh boy, this is what we live for. Monday will see the championship round of the boys 6A state tennis tournament at the OKC Tennis Center at 11 a.m.
It’s going to come down to an Edlam showdown as North and Memorial are in three finals apiece and play each other in two of them.
Here’s a preview:
No 1. singles – Chris Haworth, Putnam North (40-1) vs. Casey Distaso, Edmond North (22-2)
Haworth has played like a man possessed this weekend after losing to Union’s Logon Collins at regionals. Distaso’s only two losses this year have come against Haworth.
For Distaso, the key is to not be content with that memorable come-from-behind win against Collins. He’s played Haworth tight the previous two times.
Haworth told me he feels great, following his semifinal win while Distaso has all the momentum going with him right now.
Prediction: Haworth in three sets.
No. 2 singles – Bowen Xu, Memorial (20-1) vs. Nate Roper, Edmond North (10-0)
Ooh, a little contempt in this one. North felt Roper deserved the No. 1 seed at 2 singles. Xu has been great all year while Roper spent a good part of the year at one singles because we didn’t know if Distaso would play.
Xu has played like a true No. 1 seed while Roper has had three convincing wins of his own and both have clearly earned their spot.
I’m wondering if nerves will play any role. Xu is a senior while Roper is a freshman. He hasn’t played like a freshman, but he’s never been involved in that final state match. We’ll see.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 26273Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 15002Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 7114OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 5706Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5522OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 4689Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 3649Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 3600Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 3343Four burning questions - Was the Thunder's season a failure?
- 3206Oklahoma City Thunder: The time has come for OKC's young players
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients