Tennis: Metro/Cascia, Bishop Kelley earn honors...
By Robert Przybylo
Those were two of the longest work days in my life, but you know what, it was pretty dang cool. Despite nearly 10 hours of delays in the two days, we’re all but done for the boys state tennis tournament at the OKC Tennis Center. Last match ended at 12:30 on Friday night and just past 11 p.m. Saturday night.
It didn’t look like we would crown any champions Saturday, but we ended up naming three as Cascia Hall and Metro Christian tied for the Class 4A title while Bishop Kelley easily earned the Class 5A championship.
One class left as 6A resumes Monday at 11 a.m. Very interesting as it will be another Edlam showdown between Memorial and North as each squad has three entrants into the championship round.
If the finals are anything like the semis, going to be one fun Monday afternoon.
Thought this would be the year for Booker T.’s Evan McElwain, but the Comets brought their best at the right time as senior Cameron Schoenhofer earned the win at No. 1 singles.
No drama at all in No. 2 singles as Daniel Collins rolled to the title as did the No. 2 doubles team of Taylor Howard and Briggs Westby.
The only blemish was at No. 1 doubles where the Irish duo of John Byrne and Jonathan Kraft overcame a rough start to win 13 of the last 16 games to win the championship.
For much more on the Irish, here ya go.
And also the story of the weekend was that of Harrah’s Sam Raglin and how the tennis community rallied around him.
Raglin lost his home in the tornado Monday but still played at the state tournament. Teams from all over the state donated whatever they could to Raglin and more money was raised this weekend.
The Raglin family has a long way to go before there is some normalcy in their world, but it was great to see the generosity from the Oklahoma tennis family.
For more on Raglin, here ya go.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 15849OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 15499Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 10070'Firehouse' in Oklahoma City's Deep Deuce is set to become new home
- 9359Was Special Treatment Given in Oklahoma Vice Mayor DUI Traffic Stop?
- 8965Norman man threatens Oklahoma Gov. Fallin's 'child' and local sheriff in emails
- 8555Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU
- 7639Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale
- 7596Classen School of Advanced Studies valedictorian disappears while hiking with family in Ecuador
- 7433Two teacher programs at Oklahoma universities called ineffective
- 7053Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients