Mustang: Ashley Paxton earns honor...
By Robert Przybylo
All year on the west side of the state, it felt like a battle between Mustang and Yukon as the top softball team. One big reason for the Broncos’ was the emergence of senior pitcher Ashley Paxton.
Hmm, maybe emergence is the wrong word as she had been consistent as a junior but took her game (and with it, the team) to another level.
Paxton has been named the Gatorade Player of the Year for Oklahoma high school softball and is the first softball player from Mustang to earn the honor.
Paxton was 21-1 with an minuscule 0.74 ERA in helping Mustang to the Class 6A championship game. She only walked 21 batters and also drove in 32 runs at the plate.
“When she’s in the circle, her level of intensity, the talent that she brings and her competitiveness elevates the players,” said Mustang Head Coach Tim Wade. “It’s like when Mariano Rivera goes to the mound. Any time she goes to the circle, the team says, ‘We’re winning. It’s over.’ She wanted the ball. Ashley brought a high level of confidence, and the confidence in all the girls was elevated.”
She will be a member of the Large West all-state team Saturday in Norman and has signed to play with Oklahoma Christian.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 19791Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 7602OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 6827Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 6472OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 5877Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 4499Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 4468Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 4211Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 3402Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 3381Four burning questions - Was the Thunder's season a failure?
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients