Irish: Lizzy Whitbeck a quiet excellence...
By Robert Przybylo
It’s possible if you don’t follow swimming, that you’ve never heard of Bishop McGuinness star Lizzy Whitbeck. But ya missed out if you didn’t.
Whitbeck excelled in a couple of sports that go under the radar. She’s been a strong cross country runner for the Irish but that gets lost in the fall shuffle and football.
And swimming gets trumped by basketball. However, Whitbeck was phenomenal and rightfully earned The Oklahoman‘s Scholar Athlete award. She was first on my ballot though it was extremely tight (a lot of good candidates as usual).
The first time I saw Whitbeck was at the state swimming meet when she was a sophomore. Training with her older sister, Katie, and former Edmond Memorial star, Samantha Woodward, Lizzy was a star in the making.
Dividing swimming into two classes probably hurt Lizzy as an individual competitor, but she didn’t care as much because of the opportunity it gave to the team.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 15849OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 15499Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 10070'Firehouse' in Oklahoma City's Deep Deuce is set to become new home
- 9359Was Special Treatment Given in Oklahoma Vice Mayor DUI Traffic Stop?
- 8965Norman man threatens Oklahoma Gov. Fallin's 'child' and local sheriff in emails
- 8555Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU
- 7639Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale
- 7596Classen School of Advanced Studies valedictorian disappears while hiking with family in Ecuador
- 7433Two teacher programs at Oklahoma universities called ineffective
- 7053Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients