Santa Fe South: Moving on without Mike Cartmill...
By Robert Przybylo
It was shocking to hear about the death of former Santa Fe South football and baseball coach Mike Cartmill in April…shocking.
We run a special media day for every sports season, and Cartmill always made sure to bring his boys and could talk our ears off.
Cartmill died April 25 at the age of 56.
Athletic director Mike Graham said the days leading up to the funeral were some of the toughest he’s gone through at the school. But the funeral helped things.
“The funeral was a good thing closure. The football team went as a group. Some of them spoke. They recalled some funny things Mike said. It definitely helped.” – Graham
It’s going to be weird to not have Cartmill on the sidelines, but we look forward to getting to know new coach Jerry Braziel better.
Braziel was already the boys track coach and has been with the program for a few years, serving as the offensive coordinator.
Graham said there was no doubt about choosing Braziel. “Jerry has a good history here, and Mike always thought really high of him.”
The Saints have one of the better receivers in Abraham Luna, who is definitely someone who has gone under the radar, including by the likes of myself.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 10457Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9286Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 5848Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4983Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4420Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4301Oklahoma tornadoes: Price family recovering after some heavy blows
- 4216How to help tornado victims
- 4195Oklahoma tornadoes: Lack of storm shelters floors newcomers to Tornado Alley
- 4147Woman's body found in Payne County; two arrested
- 4123OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients